Pass/Low Pass/No Pass Option (Spring 2020)
Scope & Exemptions
This temporary policy revision applies to all undergraduate students and all courses numbered below 5000 offered in Spring of 2020 with the following EXEMPTIONS:
- All courses taught by the College of Philosophy and Letters (subject code of PLJ)
- All students and all their required courses in the following Doisy College of Health Sciences programs:
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Radiation Therapy
- All required undergraduate courses in the ‘Professional Phase’ of the Doctor of Physical Therapy program in the Doisy College of Health Sciences
All students are strongly encouraged to discuss fully any potential decision to opt for “Pass/Low Pass/No Pass” grading with their home Department, the Office of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Studies, Academic Advisors, Faculty Mentors, and the Office of Student Financial Services.
Without standard letter grades, a student could be impacted in the following ways:
- academic progress related to probation and dismissal from SLU (regulations vary by college/school)
- i.e. without a letter grade a student would not be able to improve their GPA
- financial aid eligibility (see University Satisfactory Academic Progress)
- financial support from third-party sponsors
- time-to-degree completion
- many external decisions and process out of SLU’s control require standard letter grades, for example
- admission to graduate and professional school programs
- ability to sit for state and/or national licensure/certification exams
- transfer of credit to other institutions
- The transfer of a Pass or Low Pass grade to another academic institution will depend on that institution’s transfer policies.
- For any student who opts for P/NP/LP grading, a notation will be made on the transcript indicating that a "Pass" grade is equivalent to a letter grade of "C" or better.
- We cannot guarantee transferability to other institutions. However, since most institutions require a C or better to accept transfer work it is believed the combination of the Pass/Low Pass grades and the transcript notation will maximize future transferability of courses.
Students may opt to change the grading scheme of any non-exempt Spring 2020 course to the “Pass/Low Pass/No Pass” option between Monday, April 27th and Friday, May 15th. Students may decide to opt in or opt out of the new grading scheme anytime during that time period, but all decisions are final after May 15.
The following rules apply to the Pass, Low Pass and No Pass grades and are summarized in the chart below.
- Equivalent Letter Grade
- The Pass grade is equivalent to the following letter grades: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C.
- The Low Pass grade is equivalent to the following letter grades: C-, D.
- The No Pass grade is equivalent to the following letter grade: F, FQ.
- Calculated in GPA
- The Pass, Low Pass and No Pass grades are not awarded quality points and therefore are not calculated in students’ cumulative grade point average.
- General Electives
- The Pass and Low Pass grades will satisfy general electives (courses that do not directly satisfy a major, minor or certificate) and therefore count toward the 120 credits of graduation requirements.
- Core Requirements
- The Pass and Low Pass grades will satisfy college and school Core requirements.
- Major, Minor, Certificate Requirements
- The Pass grade will satisfy all major, minor and certificate requirements.
- Additionally, the Low Pass grade will satisfy major, minor and certificate requirements in the following programs:
- Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology - Engineering
- Richard A. Chaifetz School of Business – the Business Common Body of Knowledge and all majors and minors except Accounting (subject code ACCT) courses in the Accounting major and minor
- Course Prerequisites
- The Pass grade will satisfy all course prerequisites.
- Additionally, the Low Pass grade will satisfy course prerequisites in the following programs for courses taught by the following colleges/schools/programs:
- Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology – Engineering (subject codes AENG, BME, CVNG, ECE, ESCI, MENG)
- Richard A. Chaifetz School of Business – all subjects codes ACCT, BIZ, ECON, FIN, IB, ITM, MBA, MGT, MKT, OPM, SPBZ
- Repeated Course
- The Pass, Low Pass and No Pass grades will be considered in the replacement grade process for courses repeated.
- Prior grades of repeated courses will be excluded from students’ GPA even though the Pass, Low Pass and No Pass grades have no quality points and not included in GPA.
Pass, Low Pass and No Pass Summary
|Pass||Low Pass||No Pass|
|Equivalent Letter Grade||A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C||C-, D||F, FQ|
|Factored in GPA||No||No||No|
|Satisfies General Electives||Yes||Yes||No|
|Satisfies Core Requirements||Yes||Yes||No|
|Satisfies Major, Minor, Certificate Requirements||Yes||By Program†||No|
|Satisfies Prerequisite Courses||Yes||By Program†||No|
|Repeat course policy||Yes||Yes||Yes|
See Policy Statements #5 and #6 above.
Student may opt-in to the Pass/Low Pass/No Pass grading scheme through mySLU by following these steps.
Faculty will submit standard final letter grades for all students to the Office of the University Registrar.
For students that have opted into the Pass/Low Pass/No Pass grading scheme the Office of the University Registrar will convert the letter grade to the appropriate P, LP, or NP.