Transfer Credit

This is an archived copy of the 2018-2019 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Transfer coursework is recorded on students’ permanent record.  Courses transferred from other colleges/universities do not have quality points assigned; therefore do not apply toward a student’s GPA.

Undergraduate Students

Students who have completed (or plan to complete) coursework at regionally accredited colleges or universities may request an evaluation for transfer credit.

Coursework may be considered for transfer credit if all of the following conditions are met:

  • The coursework is completed at a regionally accredited institution or dean approved international institution.
  • The final grade posted for each potential transfer course is a C letter grade (or above).
  • The Office of the University Registrar has received either
    • a sealed official transcript, sent to the Office of the University Registrar, One Grand Blvd.  St. Louis, MO 63103, or
    • an official electronic transcript sent to

Students may be asked to provide a syllabus containing a written description of the course(s) from the other institution.

Transfer credit may be awarded for which Saint Louis University has no equivalent course. This credit may be accepted as meeting major requirements or as elective credit.

Students seeking to transfer coursework taken more than 10 years previously may, at the discretion of the dean, be required to complete proficiency exams, take additional courses or repeat selected courses if the student’s ability to progress through the program of studies would be jeopardized without such remediation. This policy also may apply to coursework fewer than 10 years old for disciplines in which, in the judgment of the faculty and the dean, the body of knowledge (or its interpretation) has undergone significant or rapid change.

Graduate Students 

Classified students are expected to complete their degree requirements at Saint Louis University, but a limited amount of advanced work taken elsewhere may be transferred, subject to specific university, college, school, or center restrictions.  Students must initiate a petition and have an official transcript of the work proposed for transfer forwarded to their college, school, or center. The advisor and department make a recommendation on the petition form, and the final decision rests with the Associate Dean, Director for Graduate Education or Center Director of the particular college, school, or center. Such a petition will not receive consideration until students have completed a minimum of six credits toward their program.

Work completed elsewhere more than five years prior to the beginning of the current program will not be approved for transfer into the current program. For a course to qualify for transfer, the course must be applicable for inclusion in the advanced degree program and in the present discipline at the accredited institution where it was taken. The grade received must have been B (3.00 on a 4.00 scale) or higher. Courses taken on a Credit/No Credit or Pass/Fail basis will not be considered for transfer. The Office of the University Registrar documents final approvals of transfer of credit in the permanent record.