A major classified as a “Contract Major” is unique to a particular student, established via a “contract” between the student and a small team (two-three) of faculty advisors who agree to assist in the development of the program requirements and monitoring of student progress toward completion thereof.
Contract majors may be established only when an extant major (or combination of extant majors, or majors and minors) cannot meet the faculty-supported educational objectives of the student (as determined by the faculty advisors and the dean of the college/school/center through which the major will be formally administered).
- Must be formally administered by the college/school from which the highest number of credits earned in the major are generated.
- Must be complemented by the core requirements (and any other requirements) of the college/school from which the highest number of credits earned in the major are generated.
- Must be well-supported by extant faculty, library, studio and related educational resources at SLU, as determined by the faculty advisors.
- Must include a 3 credit capstone independent study course – taught by one or more of the student’s major faculty advisors — via which students synthesize and integrate the broad range of knowledge acquired via the major.
- Must meet all other requirements of majors as defined above.