Ignatian Leadership, Micro-credential
The Ignatian Leadership micro-credential is an undergraduate, six-credit hour, service-learning, two course sequence: SERV 1000 Ignatian Spirituality and Service (0,3 cr) and SERV 3000 Ignatian Leadership and Service (3 cr). Both courses are part of the Ignatian Service minor and related coursework.
The College of Philosophy and Letters delivers both courses and The Center for Ignatian Service provides all administration to run the service-learning program, e.g., all transportation to/from service sites, onboarding, and background clearances. Syllabi for each SERV course is available upon request. The Center augments SLU's Catholic, Jesuit educational heritage and mission by offering service-learning courses that help students integrate SLU's core curriculum while helping end cycles of poverty in St. Louis. The Center's motto is Help transform a city as the city transforms your education.
For current, active Saint Louis University students wishing to declare a micro-credential, complete the Submit Update for Student Curriculum Record form.
For non-Saint Louis University students, click here to apply as a Visiting/Non-Degree Seeking Student.
SERV 1000 Learning Outcomes
- Identify principles to inform the ultimate questions of theology within a Catholic, Jesuit perspective.
- Use an iterative process to investigate evidence that helps answer the ultimate questions of theology.
- Create a product to integrate the ultimate questions of theology within a Catholic, Jesuit education.
SERV 3000 Learning Outcomes
- Identify the principles-practices of Ignatian leadership that inform what Ignatian formed leaders do.
- Explain, by using an iterative process, how Ignatian leadership informs and is informed by integral human development, both individually and communally.
- Evaluate why their learning (reflection-learning-theory AND action-service-praxis) in this service-learning course enacts SLU's mission (final team artifact).
|SERV 1000||Ignatian Spirituality and Service||3|
|SERV 3000||Ignatian Leadership and Service||3|
Each course requires ~2 hours of service per week over twelve weeks, for a total of at least 25 total hours per semester. All service occurs at approved service sites.
For more information on this micro-credential, please contact:
Jay M. Hammond, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Ignatian Service